Monday 6 July 2009

To Cruddington - Cheshire

Repeat performance from the weather - threatening showers all day but
rarely delivering. A few light headwinds but nothing to worry about.
We started slow as Paul's muscles and my knees seem to take time to
warm up. However, Costa's in Lancaster finally stopped Paul whingeing
about the lack of cake. We therefore ended up having a sandwich lunch
in Costa's in Preston before pushing on. The A49 was a great route and
we were flying. But then I got a puncture near Wigan and got stung by
something nasty as soon as I stopped. We changed the tube in record
time but were delayed by the nutters we seem to attract - bearing in
mind that we were on the A49 and busy changing a tyre, a long
description of how we could go up past the chip shop, do a zig-zag, go
behind the bookies, through the park and then get on the A49 left me
dumbfounded. So I assured him I understood every word whilst thinking
"why don't I just stay on the A49..... Leave me alone ! "

We made great progress through the afternoon and are intending to try
for a big day tomorrow. The waitress in the pub was a little confused
by our rehydration strategy of ordering 4 pints at a time to avoid
delays - we assured her that our 2 friends were on their way but
wouldn't be eating.

Stats: 90 miles. Average 14.6. 1 puncture. 1 insect attack.

Times Paul dropped my uninsured Iphone on a hard surface : Once

Times he will ever touch it again : Nil.

1 comment: